Sunday, August 10, 2014

Review of The Secrets of a Scoundrel by Gaelen Foley

This is probably one of my favorites from The Inferno Club series by Gaelen Foley. Partly because it surprised me but really because it was just a  good book. I have actually been a fan of her work for a few years now and going in to this book I had to wonder if this was going to be a flop. I may have been feeling a bit judgmental towards the hero. The male lead character, Baron Forester has a shady history within the order. He has worked as a mercenary and worse. He has also tried to leave the orders service and that has left the readers of the series wondering who's side he is really on. I for one have questioned his loyalty even though the end of the previous book tried to give some hints as to where he stood. I have also really wondered how he could have kept a fellow agent and close friend captive. I was not a fan of Nick, Baron Forester, going in. I got some answers in this story and can now say that I loved this book and it's hero. The story opens with Nick in prison paying his dues for this act of treachery. The reader is given great personal insight in to his frame of mind, this in particular won me over. Then Virgil, the beloved spymaster from previous books that died earlier in the series, has left a legacy of sorts in the form of a daughter, Virginia, and a mysterious book. Danger and intrigue ensue and a romance rapidly unfolds between the main characters. I had a little trouble with the speed at which their bond developed but it worked. I am still a fan of Foley and will definitely be waiting for her next book. Here's to happy reading.....

No comments:

Post a Comment